News: Manipur Police today slapped charges of sedition against Jawahar Lal Nehru University student Chingiz Khan for writing an article in a Manipuri Daily Ichel Express highlighting the bias of state government in the public policy against the local Pangal community. Chingiz is pursuing PhD under Dr Najaf Haider at the Centre for Historical Studies at JNU and has consistently written for publications like Pioneer, Tehelka, among others.
Here are five components of the story that you need to know.
- According to family members of Chingiz Khan, Police detained him on April 8 for questioning, and subsequently, an FIR was filed on April 9
- The JNU scholar was produced before a local magistrate in Imphal today after which he was sent to six days police custody.
- He has been charged under following section of the Indian Penal Code 124A/153A505/120B.
- Chingiz has been quite a vocal voice among Pangal community and has written extensively on it. In the recent article for Ichel Express, Chingiz highlighted the eviction of Pangal community from Khetri Bengoon Aaw Ching area of the state.
- Imphal Police could not be reached for comments on this yet.
Monthly plan starting at ₹199 (grants access to all reportage)
As an independent media outlet, we rely on your support to be the people’s voice, free from the sway of big money. Our commitment is to deliver top-notch journalism centred around you and the issues you care about. Join us today to ensure our independence and receive quality news coverage. Subscribe now!
Monthly plan starting at ₹199 (grants access to all reportage). Cancel anytime.