News: The Delhi High Court has granted bail to Jamia Coordination Committee Safoora Zargar on humanitarian grounds. Zargar, M Phil student of Jamia Millia Islamia, is more than four months pregnant.
Zargar has been booked under the stringent Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act. The prosecution has alleged that she made an “inflammatory speech” on February 23 that led to violence and rioting in North East Delhi.
Opposing her bail, the Delhi Police had said that 39 deliveries have taken place in Tihar Jail in the last 10 years and pregnancy is no ground to give bail to Zargar.
Submitting its status report in the Delhi High Court, Delhi Police maintained that her pregnancy does not dilute the gravity of her alleged crime and that she is being given adequate medical care in the jail.
Here are five components of the story:
- As reported by LiveLaw, on Tuesday Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, representing the Delhi Police, submitted to the Delhi High Court that the State has no problem with Safoora being released on bail “provided she doesn’t indulge in activities she is being investigated for”.
- Based on the Center’s concession, a bench of Justice Rajiv Shakhdher granted bail to Safoora on submitting a personal bond of Rs. 10, 000.
- Zargar has to follow two conditions. Firstly, she should not indulge in activities for which she is being investigated and which are an infraction of law and secondly, she should not hamper investigation or influence witnesses.The bench has also issued certain conditions to her bail.
- The Court clarified that the order is not to be treated as precedent in this case or any other case.
- This is the fourth time that lawyers of the Jamia Millia Islamia student and Anti-CAA activist Zargar’s were moving court for bail ever since she was arrested on 10 April.