News: In another instance of Hindutva violence, a 14 year old converted Christian boy was crushed to death by a Hindu group in Odisha’s Malkangiri.
Here are five components of the story:
- According to the First information Report, the boy and his family including his father had adopted Christianity three years ago. Since then, a group of people who are associated with Hindutva groups has been harassing them.
- The victim’s family members alleged that few villagers identified as Deba Madkami, Budra Muchaki, Aaita Kabasi, Rabu Madi and others picked up the minor and his two other relatives on the pretext to attend a meeting in the jungle at 11.00 pm on June 4.
- On June 5, a missing complaint was filed in Malkangiri Police station by the victim’s brother. The father of the victim had filed an FIR after his son went missing. After receiving a complaint, Malkangiri Police SP Rishikesh Khillar said: “The police reached the spot and recovered the buried body”.
- The minor’s body was allegedly chopped into pieces by the accused and later they buried the body parts before fleeing from the spot. The accused captured Sombura and the two other Christians. However, the two other Christians were able to escape their captors before they were taken to the jungle.
- Pastor Bijay Pusuru, from Bethel House Church located in Kenduguda, claims extremists had restricted church activities and issued death threats against Christian families who continued to attend church. Pastor Pusura claims police and village leaders did little in response to these incidents.
Monthly plan starting at ₹199 (grants access to all reportage)
As an independent media outlet, we rely on your support to be the people’s voice, free from the sway of big money. Our commitment is to deliver top-notch journalism centred around you and the issues you care about. Join us today to ensure our independence and receive quality news coverage. Subscribe now!
Monthly plan starting at ₹199 (grants access to all reportage). Cancel anytime.