Hundreds of Muslim students along with others hailing from Bihar have launched a unique campaign against RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav. They have vowed not to vote for him if he does not speak up about Meeran Haider, a youth leader from his party, now incarcerated inside Tihar Jail for allegedly instigating communal violence in Delhi. Meeran was an active face of Anti-CAA protests in the Jamia Millia Islamia University of Delhi where he is a research scholar.
Here are five components of the story
- The group of students have today called for the Twitter campaign with #TejaswiYadavChuppitodo on Meeran Haider.
- Khalid Hasan, a close friend of incarcerated youth RJD leader, said that it comes as a shock to them that Tejaswi Yadav has so far not spoken a word on Meeran Haider.
- Many of these students hailing from Bihar have also vowed not to vote for RJD if Tejaswi does not demand the release of Meeran Haider.
- “A student of Jamia, Aatir Arshad wrote on Facebook, “Will not vote for RJD in upcoming Bihar elections, as an agenda of the campaign. “
- Meeran Haider was arrested shortly after protests at ShaheenBagh and Jamia were called off amid the COVID 19 pandemic. He has been charged under draconian provisions of UAPA along with other pro-democracy protesters.