News: In the midst of military-level talks between India and China after the violent confrontation between the armies of the two nations at Galwan valley which resulted in the death of 20 Indian soldiers, China has released 10 Indian soldiers out of whom 4 are officers, all of whom were held captive by China for three days.
Here are five components of the story:
- China in the evening of June 18 returned 10 Indian soldiers, who had been in their custody since Monday’s clash in the Galwan Valley in Ladakh, after a prolonged discussion at the major general level. The 10 soldiers included two majors and two captains.
- Sources said that over the past days, details of the missing soldiers were shared by the Chinese side and India was assured that they would not be harmed.
- While no official statement has been made on the captive soldiers, the Indian Army on June 18 said that all its soldiers are accounted for and that no one can be termed as `Missing in Action’.
- Following the release of the 10 Indian Army soldiers, situation has comparatively calmed down. The next round of talks between India and China over the weekend will revert to disengagement issues.
- Military sources on Thursday added that a total of 76 Army personnel were brutally assaulted by the Chinese army on Monday out of which 18 were seriously injured while 58 of them sustained minor injuries. They said 18 personnel are undergoing treatment at a hospital in Leh while 58 are admitted to various other hospitals.