Muslims of Malerkotla reached out to Sikhs at the Golden Temple in Amritsar with 330 quintals of wheat. This came as a gesture of love from the community when the Golden Temple started facing trouble in arranging Langar (free food)- considered to be a part of the Sikh faith.
Here are five components of the story:
- Malerkotla is the only Muslim-dominant region in Punjab, which does have any disputes with the Sikhs. This brotherhood can be traced back to times of 1947 partition.
- “About 1 lakh people have langar at the Golden Temple every day. We heard that there is a shortage of resources, so we got 330 quintal of wheat. This might not be enough to feed 1 lakh people hence we are working on arranging for more of it”, said Dr Nasir Akhtar, director of Sikh-Muslim Sanjha Sangathan.
- “People also donated an amount of Rs. 1.5 lakhs so that the wheat could be bought”, said Mohd. Parvez, a member of the organization.
- The Muslims were greeted with respect by the Sikh community, when the reached out with trucks full of wheat.
- They were also served Langar.
Independent Press is under threat
We believe that if we owe an explanation to anyone, it’s our readers. We make the powerful accountable to this democracy and remain answerable to only our readers. This becomes possible only with a little contribution from you. Consider making a small donation today and help us remain a free, fair and vibrant democracy watchdog.