A bench led by justice Uday Umesh Lalit directed Himachal Pradesh police to file a status report in a sealed cover within a week in an ongoing investigation against Journalist Vinod Dua on charges on sedition. The journalist has been facing FIRs from multiple states- West Bengal and Maharashtra being the recent ones.
Here are five components of the story:
- The FIR was registered against Dua in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh. He was summoned by the Shimla police in connection with a sedition charge levelled against him by Ajay Shyam- a local Bhartiya Janta Party leader.
- Justice Uday Umesh Lalit took a note of the questionnaire that Dua was made to answer by the authorities.
- The bench does not want Dua to answer the supplementary questionnaire sent to him by the police.
- “If we are satisfied that the contention raised by the petitioner is correct, we will squash the FIR straight away,” the bench confirmed orally, posting the matter to July 15.
- Senior Advocate Vikas Singh argued on behalf of the journalist and mentioned that his client was being harassed for exercising his constitutional right of Freedom of Speech.
Independent Press is under threat
We believe that if we owe an explanation to anyone, it’s our readers. We make the powerful accountable to this democracy and remain answerable to only our readers. This becomes possible only with a little contribution from you. Consider making a small donation today and help us remain a free, fair and vibrant democracy watchdog.