After spending months flouting public health guidelines and dismissing the threat posed by a pandemic that has killed more than half a million people worldwide, Brazillian President Jair Bolsonaro, 65, has tested positive for the coronavirus.
Here are five components of the story:
- The Brazilian president who has long been dismissive of the virus and has often called it a “little flu”, said that his lungs were “clean” but he has tested positive for coronavirus.
- He has often urged local governors to lift lockdown orders and continued to step out in public without any major precautions, without a face covering and shaking hands in public.
- “We are sorry for all the dead, but that’s everyone’s destiny,” he said last month.
- Bolsonaro was tested at least thrice in March after meeting Donald Trump but all those tests came back negative.
- More than 1.6 million people have tested positive coronavirus in Brazil and at least 65,000 people have died there.
Independent Press is under threat
We believe that if we owe an explanation to anyone, it’s our readers. We make the powerful accountable to this democracy and remain answerable to only our readers. This becomes possible only with a little contribution from you. Consider making a small donation today and help us remain a free, fair and vibrant democracy watchdog.