Saroj Khan, who was admitted to Mumbai’s Guru Nanak Dev Hospital on June 20 after she complained of breathing issues, passed away today morning. She died of a cardiac arrest in the ICU. Her last rites will be performed at Malvani in Mumbai today.
Here are five components of the story:
- Three-time National Award winner, Saroj Khan, had choreographed some of the most memorable tracks starring Bollywood stars like Madhuri Dixit, Late. Sridevi, Kareena Kapoor, and many more.
- Having been a part of the industry for over four decades, she had choreographed more than 2000 songs.
- Her maiden name was Nirmala Nagpal. She married film choreographer B Sohanlal in 1962 at the age of 13 while he was 41, already married and a father of four. She had her first child with Sohanlal at the age of 14.
- Her last choreographed song remins ‘Tabaah Hogaye’ from Karan Johar’s ‘Kalank’ in 2019.
- She is survived by three children- Hamid Khan, Hina Khan and Sukanya Khan.
Independent Press is under threat
We believe that if we owe an explanation to anyone, it’s our readers. We make the powerful accountable to this democracy and remain answerable to only our readers. This becomes possible only with a little contribution from you. Consider making a small donation today and help us remain a free, fair and vibrant democracy watchdog.