News: Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao said on June 23 that the Bharat Ratna, the country’s highest civilian honour, should be conferred on former Prime Minister PV Narasimha Rao.
Here are five components of the story:
- Stating that Narasimha Rao changed the country’s destiny for better and deserves the award, he said the state cabinet and state legislature will pass a resolution in this regard.
- The chief minister said he would personally meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi and request him to confer the Bharat Ratna on PV, as the late prime minister was popularly called.
- KCR, as the chief minister is popularly known, said that to remember the greatest services rendered by Narasimha Rao, a Congressman, as a multi-faced personality in several fields, the state government has decided to organise year-long celebrations.
- KCR said a PV memorial should be built like a memorial developed for former President APJ Abdul Kalam in Rameswaram. A team under the leadership of MP Dr Keshav Rao will visit Rameswaram and make suggestion to the government on PV memorial.
- A portrait of Narasimha Rao will be kept in the Telangana Assembly, while the state government will request the Centre to keep a portrait of the Congress leader in Parliament.
Independent Press is under threat
We believe that if we owe an explanation to anyone, it’s our readers. We make the powerful accountable to this democracy and remain answerable to only our readers. This becomes possible only with a little contribution from you. Consider making a small donation today and help us remain a free, fair and vibrant democracy watchdog.