News: Nepal’s Parliament on Saturday unanimously voted to clear the new political map that lays claim over contested territory of Lipulekh, Kalapani, and Limpiyadhura.
Here are five components of the story
- The bill was supported by all the 258 lawmakers present and voted in favor of the new map.
- The opposition parties including Nepali Congress (NC), Rashtriya Janata Party-Nepal (RJP-N), and Rashtriya Prajatantra Party (RPP) collectively passed the bill.
- Now the new map awaits to get passed in the National Assembly where a similar process will be followed
- Passage of the bill emboldens Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli anti-India rhetoric.
- This comes at a time when India is already facing a border tension with China adding to the troubles for the Indian establishment.
Independent Press is under threat
We believe that if we owe an explanation to anyone, it’s our readers. We make the powerful accountable to this democracy and remain answerable to only our readers. This becomes possible only with a little contribution from you. Consider making a small donation today and help us remain a free, fair and vibrant democracy watchdog.