News: There has been firing near the India-Nepal border in Sitamarhi. One person was reported dead an two injured, according to a report by ANI.
Here are five components of the story:
- It is, in the immediate aftermath of the shooting, unclear as to what the motivation of the shooting is, whether it is related to a strain in the ties between India and Nepal over a border issue in Uttarakhand.
- The report has been confirmed by Sashastra Seema Bal IG of Bihar Sector. Locals allege the Nepal side is firing from across the border, reports ANI.
- According to a PTI report from Kathmandu, a “house meeting” of the Nepalese parliament has been scheduled for Saturday with the matter relating to the amended map likely to come up for discussion during the meeting.
- Nepal’s Prime Minister K P Sharma Oli has said that his government will seek a solution to the Kalapani issue through diplomatic efforts and dialogue on the basis of historical facts and documents.
- “We will get back the land occupied by India through holding a dialogue,” Oli said in Parliament on Wednesday, according to PTI.
This is a breaking story. More details awaited.
Independent Press is under threat
We believe that if we owe an explanation to anyone, it’s our readers. We make the powerful accountable to this democracy and remain answerable to only our readers. This becomes possible only with a little contribution from you. Consider making a small donation today and help us remain a free, fair and vibrant democracy watchdog.