Delhi Police today arrested two members of feminist student group Pinjra Tod in connection with communal violence in Delhi earlier this year. The statement released by the group said that Natasha Narwal and Devangana were arrested after being interrogated by Special Cell of Delhi Police.
Here are five components of the story:
- Pinjra Tod was actively involved in mobilising locals in Jaffrabad area of Delhi during the Anti-CAA movement.
- Natasha Narwal and Devangana are both associated with Jawahar Lal Nehru University and have been active members of the group.
- The arrests have been made in connection of FIRs filed against the group for allegedly blocking the road in Jaffrabad and which according to Police led to Delhi communal violence. However, civil society activists have claimed that members of Bhartiya Janta Party orchestrated the Delhi violence with Kapil Sharma leading from the front.
- Several calls made to Jaffrabad police station made by Karvaan India went unanswered.
- Delhi Police has arrested several students and activists from different parts of the country who are actively involved in Anti CAA movement in the past two months amid the lockdown.
( This story will be updated shortly )
Independent Press is under threat
We believe that if we owe an explanation to anyone, it’s our readers. We make the powerful accountable to this democracy and remain answerable to only our readers. This becomes possible only with a little contribution from you. Consider making a small donation today and help us remain a free, fair and vibrant democracy watchdog.